Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Weight Loss Wednesday: 2 and a Recipe

Whew, 2 more down! A total of 10 lost these past few weeks. Slow & steady...niiiice & slow....
Trying to eat small snack-meals throughout the day, rather than just not eating b/c I'm not hungry enough to eat a meal- supposedly it will keep you metabolism going. Keeping the fridge stocked with ready-to-eat munchies, pre-cut all my veggies, stocked up on yogurt for a calcium kick. I also keep hummus handy, and been trying to eat 1-3 apples a day. Fiber is my friend!
I did great better with the water this week- THANKS LADIES! <3 I kept extra water around me at all times. Glub glub glub!


I also wanted to share a "healthy"/"dieting" recipe with you guys today. Hummus. Hummus is a great & fiber-filled alternative to other more fattening & nutrient-less dips. The chickpeas in it provide plenty of fiber & vitamins, garlic has great health benefits, and the olive oil contains heart healthy monounsaturated fats. BUT- the price of tahini- a sesame paste that is used in humus is astrofreakinnomical. Many people substitute peanut butter for the tahini to save on cost. Well I think hummus that tastes like peanuts tastes like horsepucky, and my youngest is allergic to peanuts- & she's my little snacking buddy. So, I experimented with a variety of pantry items to get a better-tasting-cheap hummus. Enjoy.

Better Tasting Cheapy Hummus: (peanut-free)

In your food-processor, pulse until mashed:
  • 1 can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans or the equivalent of home-cooked (about 2 cups.)
  • about 3 cloves of minced garlic
  • 2 hefty pinches of salt
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
Add & pulse until combined:
  • 1/4 cup olive oil (you will add more later as needed...)
  • about 2 Tablespoons of sunflower seed spread (sometimes called sunflower seed butter- you can usually find it with the other nut butters or in a healthfood store...)
  • 1/2 Tablespoon sesame oil (found with the Asian foods, or in a healthfood store.)








While running on low, drizzle olive oil through the chute until the proper/preferred consistency is reached. (Click pics to make bigger/see texture...)













A serving of hummus is about 1/4 cup. I store mine in 1/2 cup containers in the fridge because there is usually always people who want to share it. =-)

0 comments: