Saturday, December 3, 2011

Holidays on a Budget: Cinnamon Votives

I think I may be a little cinnamon-crazy this year. =-)


I've seen all sorts of stick-covered vases around the blog-world lately. Also little twig-covered votive holders. SO CUTE. But why not do that with cinnamon sticks? They're cheap if you grab a bag from the right section in the store. I got mine from the section with Mexican foods & spices, Tampico brand, but there are many brands. They were almost a dollar each, not too shabby. I grabbed two, but then I decided to cut my sticks in half so they'd lay flatter and release a lot of scent. So I ended up using one bag. Hmmmm...what to do with the other? (Cocoa?)

I gathered my supplies first so I wouldn't be running around with the hot glue gun plugged in. I had an audience, I didn't want curious hands to be tempted.
First, I trimmed the sticks to the right height with a small serrated knife. Hold firmly with your thumb, those suckers want to splinter. Save your splinters and ends to fill in any gaps.

I found the best way to halve the sticks was to slowly stab and prod down the length of them. On a magazine to protect your table, of course....


You don't have to halve them, but I liked the way they fitted. Plus it made my kitchen smell fantastic....

Start gluing and placing...

Oh no, a gap....

Gap?


If you get a little extra hanging on the bottom....or leave a lot to take a picture to show extra hanging on the bottom.... kitchen shears make easy work of trimming it.

Add a little ribbon, and clean up the extra glue....

Oops! missed some glue!

1 comments:

Cooking Rebel said...

I bet this smelled great! I love cinnamon sticks.