Monday, May 21, 2012

Meatless Monday: Black Bean Burgers

Tonight we tried something new. A veggie burger made from black beans. It sounded delicious to most of the family, but I knew I'd need to "trick" a couple people into eating it first. ;-)

I started with this recipe from Tammy's Recipes. I made a few changes to make it more traditional burger-y, I'll save the flavored burger taste for after I have them hooked. ;-)

Here it is with my changes:

In a food processor, combine 3 1/2 cups cooked black beans, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp "Montreal Steak Seasoning", a good dash of soy sauce, about a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, a couple drops of liquid smoke, 2 eggs, and a little more cracked black pepper. Whirl until a smooth paste.

Mix in a bowl with about a cup or so of bread crumbs (any kind!) until the mixture resembles cookie dough. Let sit for about 10 minutes. It will thicken right up and be lovely!

Form into 8 patties, and heat some oil in a skillet. (I tried using our indoor "grill"- the grill marks were awesome, but the rest of the surface didn't look meaty enough in my opinion to fool the stinkin' kids...) Fry a few minutes on each side. They came out slightly crisp and meaty looking on the outside, and tender and moist on the inside. Gobbled right up! (Oh, and I am addicted to that site, so they were served on her Whole Wheat Buttermilk Buns...)
LOOKS MEATY, HUH!?


4 comments:

xtina said...

these look awesome. i'll have to try them out soon.

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angie (Losing It and Loving It) said...

Love black bean burgers! Yum.

Yours look like they stayed together nicely. I can never manage that lol

Senka I said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.