Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Favorite Decorating Icing

I recently started working on my cake decorating again, just for fun, after The Princess wanted a flower covered birthday cake. Boy was I out of practice! I tried several icing recipes, but I hit gold when I made my own little changes to one of Wilton's buttercreams.

Here's what I used:
  • 1/2 C Crisco shortening
  • 1/2 C (1 stick) real butter, unsalted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp Watkin's butter-flavored extract
  • about 4 C powdered sugar, a little more on hand if you'd like some icing stiffer.
  • 2 Tbs half & half, a tiny bit on hand if you'd like to thin some icing for spreading. 
I separated the generous amount (about 3 cups) into small cups for coloring, keeping much of it for icing the cake. I thinned the spreading icing with a few more drops of half & half. I also added a tiny spoon of powdered sugar to the frosting used for the roses. I affixed wax paper squares to my flower nail with a dab of frosting, to quickly form tons of roses while letting them all dry before placing on the cake. Just carefully pull off and put on a new square and go again. (This was SUPER helpful when practicing!)

This Tinker Bell cake was MUCH more feminine than The Jedi's Hobbit Hole cake!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, my yumminess! Could I just have a teensy weensy slice of cake with a flower on top? Pretty please.

Aloha,
I'm following ya from the hop. We're riding the wave of life at localsugarhawaii.com and I'd love it if you joined us for the sweet ride.

xoxo,
Nicole
localsugarhawaii.com

Emily Meyers said...

Hey I found you via the aloha hop and am your newest follower!! Maybe you would be willing to follow each other? Also Today is the last day to enter my modcloth giveaway!! Come check it out!

THanks so much:)
Emily

http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/05/giveaway-time-again.html