Monday, June 13, 2011

Easy DIY Gel Potpourri

Gel potpourri, it's not cheap. There are recipes all over the internet that use unflavored gelatine to make lovely gel air fresheners using recycled home glass on the cheap. But, as these evaporate and release their fragrance into the air, they start to shrink, and start looking rubbery and well- not so pretty anymore.
Here is a great way to make a home air freshener CHEAPLY, recycle pretty glass containers, and use your favorite liquid potpourri with out a flame.

You will need:
  • Some liquid potpourri (anywhere from $1-3, I've even gotten it on clearance for .50 before)
  • Some water absorbing crystals. (Found online and in most craft stores. I recommend getting them online from feeding-insect suppliers. Cheaper.)
  • A pretty little glass jar. (I recycle my Glade candle jars for home purposes.)
Read the directions on your crystals. This bag I have (.99 for enough dry crystals to make a gallon wet.) says to use 1 tsp for 8 oz of liquid. I used 1/2 tsp in my jar.
Then, I poured in about 4 oz of my liquid potpourri. (I eyeballed it.)


Mmmmm...that looks delicious...I'd better make sure no one drinks it while it has it's 30 minute rest!
Plastic wrap over the top, a firm "DO NOT DRINK!" That should do it!
A-half-hour later, a lovely home fragrance.
The best part...as the crystals start to dry out- you just add a splash of liquid potpourri and they are revived! As beautiful as ever!
& I think I may need to remove some tea lights from some in-use jars and get some more made!

0 comments: