Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Easiest Bread- No Knead

This bread is tasty, requires minimal effort, and is so easy my kids can do it. Seriously. All you need is a little planning because it takes time to slowly rise into delicious perfection.

It goes so quick and easily I didn't even get to take any pictures of the process...but you don't need them!

Non-ingredients you will need:
  • mixing bowl
  • a dutch oven or heavy casserole with a lid. (I use my camping cast iron dutch oven)
  • a bit of parchment paper

About 18-24 hours before you want to serve your bread, dump into a mixing bowl:
  • 3 cups of flour (most recipes call for bread flour, but I find a nice, fluffy AP flour works just as well. I prefer Blue Bird.)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp yeast (most recipes call for 1/4...but I like it with 1/2, and it's my bread, so nah nah nah nah.)
  • 1 1/2 c water
Mix...it will look like a shaggy, horrible mess. It will! It is SO-ooooo OK! cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 18-24 hours.

When you go back, it will look spongy, light and wet. Lightly flour your hands and surface, and gently form your mess of dough into a round loaf-ish shape. Set on some parchment paper and let rise for 30-45 minutes.
While your dough is rising, preheat your oven to 450, with your dutch oven inside. Let it heat the whole 2nd rising time so it gets piping hot.
Grab your dough filled parchment by the corners, and pop into your dutch oven. It doesn't have to look perfect- this is a very rustic loaf.
Bake for about 45-50 minutes with the lid on, then 15-20 with it off. Let cool on a rack.
Enjoy your super crusty outside, tender lovely inside. This bread is perfect for bruschetta and soup. And also for munching on way too much of it while you make dinner. Seriously. I may die of bread over-dose.

1 comments:

Snooglerat said...

omg, make me some and mail it to me stat! lol